Sunday, April 4, 2010

Alan's War

This week I read Alan's War. The drawing style was different from a lot of comics I've seen. I thought it was interesting that Guibert didn't draw the character's face on a lot of the drawings but realized it was only when they were so far away. He would also use simple lines and shapes for some of the expressions and it worked just fine. I really liked some of the larger panels, especially the chapter titles. each one had an illustration of a character on one page and the number of the chapter on the other. It was a nice juxtaposition. There were also some interesting layouts when he cropped an object in one panel and let it come into the next. I thought this was a good idea to break up the pacing and the rhythm of the panels. Overall, I thought that this was a good graphic novel with a ton of unique illustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment